If you’re anything like me, you’re always trying to improve your packing game. And by improve I mean avoiding situations where you’re throwing random things in your suitcase at midnight before your 6AM flight and then thinking of everything you forgot during the drive to the airport. Oh wait…that’s only me? Well then. If you’re wondering what to pack for Hawaii, I’ve rounded up 15 of what I consider to be essentials for a beach vacation to Hawaii.
Now these are things that people might not think to pack, not necessarily packing basics, but don’t worry. You can download a FREE packing checklist that’s got EVERYTHING on it by clicking on the picture below.
And now, here are 15 things you should always pack for a trip to the beach:
1. Bikini. Duh. If you’re like me, you probably already have a collection, but if you’re looking for additions, I like Maaji, L Space, and Boys and Arrows.
2. Cover Up. My motto is always pack more of these than you think you’ll need. It’s probably what you’ll be wearing most of the time. I’ve been particularly into kimonos lately. Some of my favorites are from Jaxsea and Cays and Seas.
3. Flip Flops. For those few situations on a beach vacation when you do need shoes, flip flops are the only way to go. I like Sanuks.
4. Hat. Yeah, the first day you’re there you’ll be all about soaking up the sun, but trust me, after a little too much sun you’ll be all about the shade. I like a big sun hat but you can’t beat a good ol’ ball cap either.
5. Sunglasses. I live in Ray Bans, but sometimes you just want to pack a cheap pair for the beach.
6. Beach Bag. You’ve got to have something to haul your gear around in. I like a big bag with plenty of room but you’ll also want something that packs up small.
7. Sunscreen. This is the one thing you shouldn’t leave home without. Depending on where you’re going, sunscreen can be very expensive and your choices limited. Stock up at home. This is my favorite lately.
8. Aloe Vera. Whew, trust me. You’ll end up needing this and when you do, you won’t want to have to make a trip to the store to get it. I like this gel and this spray.
9. Bug Spray. Depending on where you’re going, you’ll definitely want this. If you’re going to the Caribbean, you might also want to pack armbands.
10. Yeti. I’m in LOVE with my Yeti tumbler. I fill it with ice and water in the morning and 12 hours later there’s still ice in it. This is the #1 thing I recommend taking on a beach vacation.
11. Lifeproof Case. I never go to the beach without one of these on my phone. You can use your phone as an underwater camera at depths of up to 30 feet and even if you don’t plan on submerging your phone, it adds a little extra insurance against sand and drops.
12. Dry Bag. If you’re planning on going out on a boat, I highly recommend packing a dry bag for, well, anything you want to keep dry. If you’re looking for a little something more, I carry this Patagonia waterproof backpack.
13. Water Shoes. If you’ll be doing any hiking or water related activities that are going to require sturdy footwear, pack a pair of Keens.
14. GoPro. If you’re looking for a waterproof camera that shoots solid video and takes good photos, a GoPro is a must.
15. Kindle/Book. If you’re like me, a beach vacation usually means hours of reading a day. Either pack an e-reader or plenty of paperbacks.
So there are 15 things to pack for the beach. To grab your FREE complete packing checklist, click the button below.
What’s on your must pack list for a trip to the beach? Come on over to Facebook and let’s chat!
P.S. Some of these links contain affiliates, but don’t worry, I always tell you exactly what I think.