While Hawaii has the reputation for being super expensive, it’s actually possible to find a place to stay at ALL price levels. If you’re looking for one of the cheapest ways to do Hawaii, you’ll find several budget hotels in Hawaii that are perfect for saving a few bucks but still staying in style. Before I tell you my favorites, let me break the pros and cons of staying in a budget hotel down for you:
Pros of Staying in a Budget Hotel
- A budget hotel is one of the cheapest accommodation options in Hawaii.
- You’ll be able to book direct with the hotel (no dealing with an individual property owner like if you use VRBO or Airbnb).
- You’ll get many of the amenities you would at a resort (maid service, front desk concierge, etc.).
- There are quite a few budget hotels right on the beach in Hawaii.
- You’ll always get a cheap price no need to wait for sales and book vacation packages.
Cons of Staying in a Budget Hotel
- You won’t get all the amenities of a big beach resort.
- It may not be nice enough that you just want to lay around the pool every day.
- You may be able to find a vacation rental or condo for about the same price that would have more amenities (full kitchen, washer and dryer, etc.).
My 2 Cents: I like to book a budget hotel when I just want a clean and convenient place to set up a home base from which to explore the island. If I’m going to be out and about adventuring every day, I don’t need a nice beach resort, or even a condo with full amenities.
Kauai Budget Hotels
Kauai Shores: I stayed at Kauai Shores on my last trip to Kauai and I LOVED it! It’s easy on the budget but the rooms and common spaces are bright and airy, the onsite restaurant is amazing, and it’s right on the beach! It’s location on the east side of the island makes it perfectly situated for exploring both the north and the south shores.
Photo via Kauai Shores
Hotel Coral Reef Resort: Located right in the heart of historic Kapa’a, the Hotel Coral Reef Resort is the perfect place to stay if you like a convenient location and being able to walk to restaurants and shops. It’s right on the beach and a bike path runs right by it giving you easy access to Lydgate beach.
Photo via Hotel Coral Reef Resort
Kauai Palms Hotel: Located just 5 minutes from the airport in Lihue, Kauai Palms Hotel is the perfect efficiency hotel to set up camp for a week exploring the island. Studio rooms have air conditioning and either a full kitchen or a kitchenette.
Photo via Kauai Palms Hotel
Maui Budget Hotels
Ka’anapali Beach Hotel: Located right on bustling Ka’anapali Beach, the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel is the perfect place to stay on Maui’s west side. Located on the Ka’anapali beach walk nearby the Sheraton, Westin, and Hyatt, you’ll enjoy being in west Maui’s gorgeous resort area at a fraction of the price.